Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yummm... sweet potatoes....

It seems if I'm not busy cleaning, I'm busy cooking or crafting! I seem to get into a groove with one and slack off on the others. Right now I'm cooking. I saw a box of sweet potatoes at Costco and decided to challenge myself.

Last night was this great maple syrup & pecans recipe off pinterest (I mean, seriously, is there any better way to eat sweet potatoes?) tonight we made a hashbrown recipe using them that had red pepper and bacon. Called for Canadian bacon, I used some super-awesome bacon I got on $5 Friday at Safeway last week and left out the chile flakes so the kids would at least try it.  It was so good, Paul even asked for seconds.

I also made a freezer biscuit recipe my mom found when she was cleaning out her recipe drawer so I have no idea where it came from, but it works, the entire family loved them. I'm going to include them with a ham & bean soup dinner swap.  You pop them in the oven straight from the freezer and they were really fast and easy to make. I did roll them too thin, next time, I'll make sure I have a ruler to make sure they are thick enough, but they were still yummy.  The heavy cream is pretty expensive, though I think I spent almost $7 on cream. I probably would wait for a dairy sale next time...

6 cups all-purpose flour, plus some for rolling out
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups heavy cream (you could just use 1 quart, I had to add a lot of flour as they were pretty sticky)

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper OR use Pampered Chef stoneware like I did a skip the parchment paper.  Set aside.  Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir in the cream wiht a wood spoon until dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto floured counter and gather into a ball, knead briefly until smooth, about 60 seconds, adding flour if necessary.
2. Pat dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter (or go old-school like my mom used to and use a drinking glass-I actually used a scallopped circle cutter and it looked nice.  Set them out on to the baking sheets with plastic wrap around them adn freeze until frozen solid about 6 hours (probably fine with 4 hours)Transfer to a Ziplock (or wrap really well in the plastic wrap you used to cover the pans) and freeze for up to 1 month. DO NOT THAW BEFORE BAKING.
3. Bake from frozen at 450 degrees until puffed and golden brown-20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with butter and jam or honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive