Thursday, May 17, 2012

Changing the way I make bread

So I've been trying multi-grain  bread and white bread and it was just too dense for my family's tastes and I had to be home most of the time for the kneading, rising, etc. So I pulled out my breadmaker that had been gathering dust in the bottom of the pantry (ok, not really, I've been making Hawaiian sweet rolls in it (recipe at the bottom of this post)).  And started having it do the dough tough work. It takes 1.5 hours and I use only enough ingredients to make one loaf (many recipes call for enough ingredients to make two) then I bake it in the oven in my regular Pampered Chef stone pan so it looks like a loaf of bread, though I'm looking into Pullman pans which make bread look more like the kind you get from the store.

Anyways, my bread is coming out much fluffier and I don't have to watch it as closely. I can throw the ingredients into the maker and get everyone ready for the day and off to school, come home and pop it in the oven for 35-45 minutes depending on the type of bread.

Here's that recipe for Hawaiian sweet bread I got from a friend of a friend on Facebook-I use it to make rolls for dinner:

1 cup water; 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk (1/2 of a regular sized can); 1 tsp salt; 1 Tbsp butter, 3 1/3 cups BREAD flour (you could use all-purpose, it just will be less fluffy); 2 tsp yeast. Put all the ingredients in the breadmaker and set for dough cycle. Original directions suggest spearating into 3 sections, rolling each out like a snake, mesh ends together and braid, place in baking dish. Rise 25-30 minutes, brush melted butter on top after rising Bake at 250 for 30-45 minute until top is golden brown.  I roll them into 2 inch balls and put them in a greased 9x13 pan evenly spaced, then raise and brush with butter and bake about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive