Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week in Review-1st week of February

First off, this week has been beautiful weather here in Seattle. Today's the last day of it as the next week is supposed to rain straight through to next Thursday.  We've been taking advantage.

I went scrapbooking the last Saturday of January, which meant I had a friend from BC stay with me and got 30 pages put together, mostly of our adventures last summer.  I cleaned the house Monday and did meal swap (btw, because I had stuff left from Dec since we went away for the holiday, I'm only cooking once in February, you can all be jealous now), ran errands on Tuesday, so Wednesday the 1st I decided to scrapbook some more since I had all my stuff still packed up.  I finished our 2011 album, woohoo! I also put the 2 pages of Valerie's first year in her book and picked out her album.

Then went curling and did WAY better than I normally do. I started taking more time in the hack before my release and it's totally made a difference. Our team is great about getting set up while it's the other team's turn to throw, so I can take the extra few seconds to take a deep breath and it's not costing us too much time.  That's my story, anyways.

Then I found my twin site.  A friend posted that she was looking for a sunscreen recipe on Facebook, guess what the link was? www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com and guess what, it's a blog of a gal in the suburbs who is trying to do more making stuff from scratch. Sound familiar? I e-mailed her and the funny thing is her last name is not even Little....

Tuesday night while Paul was curling he came home to find me doing some projects in my office and asked why I wasn't watching TV. I pointed out that since we cut the cable TV cord last week and only had Hulu Plus & Netflix now, I didn't have any devices in my office to stream anything. So, while I was at curling, he went out with all 3 kids to Costco on a weeknight and got a box all set up in my office.  So I got up early Thursday morning and washed his super dirty car for him.  Aww... we're all ready for Valentine's day! 

Thursday & Friday I tried 2 granola recipes. The first ended up too dry, but it's no-bake and I only had rolled oats, not quick, so I'm not counting it out. I found it on pinterest, I'm hoping this week to try again with quick oats...    the other was offered up by a curling friend from the King Arthur Flour website. I used quick oats, but it was too "wet" and won't survive Carter's lunchbox, so I'm going to try again, but with a little tweeking, I think... I used 1 cup craisins, 1 cup chocolate chips. Carter wasn't a fan of the craisins, so I'm going to try replacing with 1 cup rice krispies and see how it goes.


Then Henri decided to use the Annie's bunnies Pasta to build and we took some pinterest inspired pictures...




Then we exploded some Ivory Soap in the microwave.  1) it only works for Ivory soap 2) only do 1/8 to 1/4 of the bar at once 3) it's more of a volcanic eruption than an explosion per-se 4) use a clear, large bowl to contain it 5) you can use it in the bathtub afterwards, it cools off pretty quickly.

Friday my mom came over so I could get my hair done. Don't I look nice?


At my steering team meeting I got some baby food jars from someone to organize my spice drawer. Pinterest had it being done with chalkboard point (which I made in a previous post) but I have large man-hands so writing, esp longer spices like Cinnamon was really tricky so I got out my hand dandy labeler and used the smallest type. Love it Eventually want to upgrade to all the same.  When cooking with children around esp at a time of day when 2 are usually crying and the other is talking ad nauseum about how hungry he is, it's good to have spices alphabetized for quick finding.



Monday morning was still nice, the little kids were outside by 8:30 am, I made cloud dough 8 cups flour to 1 cup baby oil. I made them strip and change clothes when they came in at 10am so we could try out the YMCAs new indoor playground at Carol Edwards community center (We walked down) .

Then we walked back up home and Henri said "Mom the sun is out, take a picture." What a Seattlite...
We played and then walked up the hill to go get Carter and the little kids played outside another 2 hours when we got home.  Oh, over the weekend we also made Mounds bars per Paul's request.

Today was Lemon Crinkles (I'd add a little more zest, they were very good and easy) and finding a fruit snack recipe.  The first one I tried I put in ice cube trays and was terrible. It was so stiff I could have made bouncy balls out of it.  The second one made of blueberries & 1/4 cup sugar was a great consistency, no blue fingers. Valerie was suspicious (and tired, so I may try again tomorrow) Henri gobbled them up, Carter tried them but seemed unimpressed (also tired-and the pickiest of the bunch). I want to try them again with strawberries next time I get to the store and retry my granola bars tonight while Paul curls.   I also printed these and these to put in Carter's lunches. Then I took a nap for 30 minutes while the little kids played outside in the sun for 2 hours this afternoon :)

That's what we've been up to! This week I'm hoping to: Share Valerie's Valentine's Day card (I want recipients to get theirs in the mail first); tweek the granola bar recipe; take a 2012 tax season seminar (tomorrow morning!)  Make Lemon pull-aparts (dessert tonight); and other fun crafts. 

oh, and a pic for grandma-sorry I couldnt' get a front picture, but she was rocking the skirt with beads and very involved in the fridge magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive