We finished the curling season strong.
In January I was invited by another female ice maker to take her place at the Women in Curling Summit happening concurrently with the Scotties (the biggest women's curling competition in Canada), so I was a speaker about being a female icemaker and how women can get involved with their clubs. I got to meet AND hang out at the Scotties in a box seat with Cori Bartel of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Curling team who wants every one to touch her medal. She explains, "It's Canada's medal I'm just holding on to it."
Then my team won our ladies Banana Belt Bonspiel (I played 2nd) the theme was "A Day at the Races"
We also won our Club Championship league (Hubby plays skip I play 2nd):
We also discussed property maintenance for summer with our property chair-hoping for puckboard along the sides to help with leaks, save from painting and paint chips which will keep the ice cleaner.
We also need to get the blades for the scraper to London for sharpening and they said they would buy our old, small nipper so that needs to go up as well. We have some members who visit family there we will send it with. Tomorrow (Jul 29) we will meet the refrigeration guy to see if we can get some "dead" pipes up and running again and the backboards have already been reinforced where they were bowing (we were having some tripping because we noticed sheet 8 slowly getting taller through the season!)
Other than that, we spend a week doing as little as possible and sleeping, then we start tackling all the projects that we put off over winter. This year that included painting walls (so many walls-I still have two touch ups to do today). We also spend as much time as possible outdoors (ok, well, I do.)
That got us through April, then in May I went on a bit of an adventure... next post!








No comments:
Post a Comment