November 2nd I ran what was likely my last road marathon. I have something that's been bothering the back of my left leg for over a year (went to doctor March 2026 and of course it wasn't acting up then and now is bothering me again, doh!) Anyway, I had this on the docket for 2023 or 2024 and deferred it when other things came up. So it was use it or lose it. Those of you who know me know I'm not only cheap but stubborn, so I trained for the f*ing thing. I used a training plan from a book called, "Run less, run faster" that is only a 3 day a week training plan-long run, speed workout, tempo (running the pace you hope to run in the marathon) though I cut a week of the 3 week taper (see Ultra post when 3 weeks was too long, turns out I like a 2 week taper for a marathon). The bad part about this is none of the runs are fun. They just are. I was surprising myself by actually being able to do the pace goals for a 4 hr 10 min marathon for speed and tempo after the first week but for the long runs, forget it, so I gave up and just ran the distances prescribed. I was also biking a lot last summer, I joined two cycling groups and really enjoyed them. We had a very hot summer 2025 and I found I can handle biking in a higher heat than running and figured out how to climb hills on a road bike (I'd stuck to flat before-more about the biking later)
I was very happy with first half. Second half I had lactic acid the entire way but never walked. Just listened to my playlist and did my best. Pace bunny for 4:10 came up to me at km 40 and I left everything left in the tank on path and beat him.
Also at km 20 a sandcrane wandered across the course that was 4 feet tall. Not sure which of us was more confused.
Somehow I ended up 14th in division 14th out of 22.
Because comparison is the thief of joy, but I'm curious I also wanted to know place out of all participants.
453rd place out of 693
127th female out of 210
This means I was slower than 60% of participants but faster than 40% of participants.
Overall I'm kind of ambivalent-it got me out running, but I can't say I enjoyed it or the 2nd half of the race and feel a calm in my decision to be done with road running.
This summer I got out the road bike a friend gave me and really got into cycling. I joined 2 cycling groups, one mixed and one all female and enjoyed both. The mixed does a lot more flat but long distance and met on weekday mornings while the women's met Monday evenings so we go hard for 2 hours. I have found I'm just above average for the speed and endurance. I'm not winning any races, but I also can go for a long time at a good pace-about 23 km/hr approx. I learned how to climb hills (I had to walk the first 2 of the season, but figured it out pretty quick since I'm stubborn). and was happy with my progress. I want to bike more and trail run more next year.
My hamstring, or tendon or something gets angry with pavement running now, even 7k will irritate it. I no longer care about speed. I've signed up for no races for 2026 which is unusual. I want to spend the summer hiking (I have 3 northern areas of the Bruce Trail still to explore), road biking (I am not brave enough to mountain bike yet) and possibly trail running. The women's group I joined has asked me to be a biking leader which is exciting and I'm hoping to also lead some hikes with the Bruce Trail conservancy again this summer. We are off work approx April 15-September 1 and I have visions of throwing a twin mattress hidden under V's bed in the back of the van with a cooler full of sandwhiches and heading north with my maps for several day adventures this summer as I am walking up and down the curling ice.

No comments:
Post a Comment