In August, I ran the Falling Water Trail Marathon (42km/26 mile) as my return to racing after injury. The course features 5,000 feet of elevation. This race was beautiful, I would love to come back and explore more. Mostly taking place on Beaver Valley Bruce Trail and side trails. Falling Water was definitely everywhere, including the sky for the first 45 minutes. Lots of slippery mud. This was the first race I used poles in and I was so glad I had them and they never left my hands. They were effective in downhill mud skiing, getting up the many, many many hills and did their job of making sure I didn't blow up my legs like my last race. Hydro hill's (the local highest hill-a gravel road that is a hydro access road behind the local university that many of us use for hill training/repeats) big daddy had to be climbed twice (gravel hill that was steep and went on FOREVER)-first time I got passed by several people, the second time didn't get passed. The ski hill that was 80 degree angle in the sun was also notable. I felt really strong on the downhills, but slow on the uphills and was breathing hard the entire way. The trails were mostly single track, shady and so, so pretty.
Really hot in the sun. I focused for the second 20k on being able to sit in the creek by the finish line after!
Great swag-sticker, pocket knife, duffle (could also choose a backpack), buff. The medal is a pretty and working compass.
Placed 55/81 overall, 14/24 women. Took just under 7 hours.
Photo note: I took all these landscape photos from All Trails as I was in no condition to be taking photographs during the race! But I did see all the places featured. I wish I could find more photos of the amazing mushrooms!
.jpg)





















No comments:
Post a Comment