Saturday, August 10, 2019

March, hair, becoming Canadian

The winter continued to be cold, but with my inlaws moving into a smaller place they gave us their snowblower.  Since Mexico, I've not been able to sleep in past about 545am and being the only adult in the house right now, I'm learning how to snow blow. 

 
There is actually an art to reading the wind and blowing the snow away from yourself.  It took me a time or two to understand this.
 
I've since learned well and can do my driveway and the two next to me in about 40ish minutes.  My neighbor is a single woman who has had some carpel tunnel issues this spring which would make shoveling difficult and my other neighbor is an older couple-the husband who is usually their snowblower had a stroke recently, so I'm trying to keep up that driveway so they don't have to wait for their son in law to come out to do it.  It's quite a Canadian thing for those with snowblowers to help out those who don't.  It evens out the early morning noise they make.
 
I decided with all the working out I'm doing to cut my hair quite short and I've been happy with it.
 
Maybe I was inspired by this cutie who cut her hair short to donate it.



 
I'm looking forward to less hair maintenance with her!

H has been curling this year and he and his team won the end of year bonspeil for his age group.  H went up a level and is now playing the full sheet with regular sized rocks and was the Vice for his team.
 
V decided to join the bonspiel on a whim the day of which worked out as they were very short players in the little rocks division that plays a 1/2 sheet of ice with 1/2 weighted rocks.  She and her partner took 1st place as well.
 
Hubby came back in March to come to my Canadian citizenship ceremony. My inlaws and kids came as well as several friends (which was a wonderful surprise!)
 
 
For those interested, I applied the day I arrived in Canada in 2013. (I showed up with all my paperwork done and just put in the final landing papers and mailed it off).  I received my permanent residency 14 months later. There were a few papers that had to be resubmitted (hubby had changed jobs and my passport had expired and been renewed) once my permanent resident application was opened and reviewed.  During my time in Canada the citizenship requirements changed from 3 years of residency in order to apply and 2 year wait on paperwork to a 4 year residency requirement and 1 year waiting period.  After I'd been in Canada approximately 4 1/2 years (every day I'm away, even for an hour I can't count and there's a weird system for the days before I became a permanent resident).  The paperwork took just over a year and I became a citizen just under 6 years after I arrived in Canada to live.
 
Hubby went back to Washington and the kids and I celebrated Easter.
 
C has shot up in height and it's very strange to me to have a son who is as tall as I am and who has a lower voice.  The first few months hubby was gone and C was the oldest male in the house, I frequently panicked upon arriving home to hear a "man voice" until I realized it was C.  Keeping him in pants and shoes that fit is a current challenge.  He's finishing up his final year of elementary school (we don't have a middle school or junior high, he'll go straight to high school next year) and it learning about homework and being more independent.
 
He's also been amazingly helpful this year.  I honestly don't think our family arrangement of hubby out west working and me in Canada with the kids would work without he and also my inlaws that live so close to us now.  He gets then out the door a day or two a week while I work a part-time job so that I can work in longer days but less number of days per week and also stays home with them in the evenings so I can go for a run or go to a gym class.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive