I flew to Chicago a weekend early so inspect this fellow. I did not want to scare him off by introducing all 3 kids at once. Sadly, the only night they could have supper with us when the kids were here, the kids were so tired from the drive one was a mess and one slept through most of dinner. Ah, well, maybe next time....
I had a great weekend. My friend made every decision for me. People, if you have a friend who has kids, they make decisions all the live long day. If you get that friend for a weekend away, make all the decisions for them. That is the greatest gift. For one blessed weekend she told me what we were eating, where we were shopping, what we were doing. I loved it all. I think this is why I love my scrapbooking retreats. Someone feeds me whatever they make, I go to bed when the room gets quiet and I don't have to decide anything major all weekend! I also happened to like her boyfriend (now fiance!) He has turned her into a more patient person, makes her laugh and she's much more optimistic and happy than I've seen her in awhile. He really gets her. After a few weeks of thinking over our weekend, I also realized he is a lot like my husband in many ways, too!
We shopped on magnificent mile, went kayaking, people watched, had a lady in Starbucks tell us we were F-ing hot (we then decided maybe the next day we'd just take a seat outside a Starbucks and yell compliments to unsuspecting passersby all day).
Then Monday she went off to work and P and the kids showed up. We met up at my cousin's house (I'd hit the grocery story that morning) and had lunch with another college friend at the local park so they could run around. Tuesday the kids all voted to take the train downtown.
Our first stop was the Free and actually quite fun Money Museum in the Chicago Federal Reserve building.
Then we headed over to the Art Institute, where the kids were sad to find out the armor and swords room was closed this time, but they still found plenty to see...
Then we ate lunch in a small park just to the north of the institute.
We went to Millenium Park to see the cloud (bean).
We used it to take Selfies.
Then the little kids cooled off in Crown fountain.
Then we walked over the bridge to the newish Maggie Daley park, which has small playgrounds for all ages of kids.
The kids made fun of Trump Tower
Wednesday we drove to Lincoln Park and headed to the zoo. It's free! It has certainly changed since I lived in Chicago 20 years ago. It's quite nice. This guy was their favorite.
Then we had lunch at Oz park.
The playground is gated and amazing.
Then we drove to the Museum of Science & Industry
It's huge
We paid extra to see the Lego Exhibit-it was mostly architecture stuff and the boys got selected to go on a stage and compete to build something in a timed setting.
Outside the exhibit was a train set with lego built Chicago, Seattle, and some points in between.
The next day we headed home hoping to stop at the Indiana Dunes, but they were closed in the dunes part and the beach had no parking :( so we drove home.





































No comments:
Post a Comment