The project this week I was helped on by the whole family. The kids have been talking about wanting to sleep in the same room for awhile now. We moved here and got a house big enough for everyone to have their own room and now they all want to share. Go figure. If I put them to bed in their own rooms, by morning they are all sleeping in one twin bed. So we brainstormed and came to the conclusion to mix it up. The original master bedroom the oldest was in was changed to a bunkhouse and boys' change room, the middle child's small bedroom is now the playroom and the little girls' room is now a library/doll room/girl change room. We also got rid of two giant boxes of toys, clothes, etc. and I'm $90 richer from the consignment store. I figure we'll keep the arrangement for a few years before the eldest wants his own room back to try and sneak in the ladies to make out with them, but for now we'll see how it goes.
Room 1-the original master-we rebunked the boys' beds and put in a trundle from our couch downstairs for the girl. There are two bedstands, the boys share one with two drawers (drawer for each) and V has one with a drawer. Everyone has a collapsable hamper for stuffies (stuffed animals) and the stuffies collection must fit on your bed + the container or you have to start purging. We did not purge this time around as they did last time and going through the toys and having my sentimental middle child give up some things I've not seen him play with in a year was enough for me. The boys' dressers are in here and there's shelving in the closet for the arsenal (bows, swords, shields, Nerf guns) as well as a rod for hanging clothes-I have 2-1 they can reach, the higher is for out of season coats, stuff that's just a little too big for them, etc.
Room 2-the playroom. The previous owners used this as an office and it unfortunately has a smaller window than I would like. The lego table is in there with a fuzzy rug and their misc building and other toys. I can close the door and my toes can be barefoot without stepping on legos :D
I'm tempted to move the doll stuff from the Pink room into this room as there is some space and put the dress up stuff in the pink room, but that's a job for another day. We also recently got C a new dresser and the old one is in the garage begging me for Pinterest makeover to make a dress up armoire, so there's another reason to possibly move the dress up stuff in the blue playroom.
The last room is the library/doll room (maybe dress up room, still a work in process!) V's huge bed is in here and we'll put all our throw and extra pillows on it for a reading nest. This is still her dressing room and there are books in the white cabinet (mostly C's) in the smaller bookshelf (mostly H's) and in the shelves in the closet (mostly V's). H had a great idea of designating a shelf (probably the top of the bookshelf with the lamp on it) for library books so they don't get mixed in with our collection.
The kids were so excited when they got home and they helped me go through and put away the last of the toys. Hubby helped me with lifting, vacuuming, decision making and made dinner while the kids and I finished up!
Why I gave up keeping them separated:

No comments:
Post a Comment