Friday, May 20, 2016

A cave for C

C wanted some curtains since he agreed to give the much-coveted upper bunk to his brother in the big room switch.  I had a flat king sized sheet from a set that the fitted sheet had been trashed awhile ago.  The width was just longer than the length of his twin sized bed.  I cut it 42 inches long which is the whole height of the space of his bunk, plus a few inches for seam allowance-I generally do a 3/4 to 1 inch rolled seam for projects of this size.  I didn't want to do smaller as I added snaps and wanted room for them to sit on the seam.  I then cut it in half so there'd be a way out.  I used some snaps on a strip and cut them apart to put 3-4 snaps in the doorway.  One set is on the inside, the other on the outside, so when they are snapped, you don't see the snaps.


 
I then made button holes about every foot along the top and put small Command hooks on the inside of his bunk.
 

 
Then I cut a strip two snaps long (you can sew the ends under of the snap strip or using a lighter singe the edge so that it won't fray).  I laid the curtain down and folded it up like a triangle to see where one of the door snaps would match the seam and sewed one end of the 2 snap strip to the seam.  It's important to use the opposite snap to the one on the door :) 


 
 
Now he can pull back the curtains (there's one on each side)
 
 
H got a pocket-I accidently ordered too many of these pockets from 31 gifts when they were available for $5 each.  Unfortunately the straps didn't go all the way around the rail, so I snapped two together in a panier fashion (like bike messengers) and attached some sticky backed velcro in between to make sure they didn't slip off if one side was heavier than the other.  Now he can keep a book and flashlight and any other accessories that would normally fall back behind the bunkbed overnight in these pockets.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive