Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Halloween


The kids were pretty solid in their choices of Halloween costumes and activities this year.  V wanted to be Elsa from Frozen (perfect-have the costume, her cousin was Elsa last year so we have a wig available)  H wanted to be a stickman (doable due to his still fitting in his skeleton pajamas from last year or the year before and the fact that I have the rest of a 100 pack of glow sticks from V wanting them as a handout for her classmates for her birthday last spring).  C wanted to be the Headless Horseman.  I have no idea what inspired this, but we have the cape my mom made my nephew several years ago that he’s used for a few costumes I just needed to figure out the head.  After thinking about the pinterest posts that have popped up about making ghosts using cheesecloth (available at our Bulk Barn & dollar stores) and liquid starch (this was a little trickier, I tracked some down at Walmart.com and had it mailed to a friend in the US) over a balloon (dollar store).  My first attempt did work, but painting it orange was taking all my paint and time.  So I used the other ½ of the package of cheese cloth and found orange paint at the dollar store and smashed the cloth into the paint until it was saturated, squeezed out the excess, put it over the first attempt then sprayed the starch over it and voila!  Pumpkin head!  Added some black paint for the face, cut out with scissors and added some fabric leaves I had in my scrapbook stash and we were in business.

The school was having a “work to rule” strike meaning the teachers are only working to their job descriptions, no extras until their negotiations for their contracts were secure.  Among other things, this meant no field trips, including no field trips to the Pumpkin patch.  On the last Saturday before Halloween I told the kids that if we were going to do pumpkins, this was our last chance.  They all looked up from playing and unanimously decided to skip the carving this year.  Yes, it was a little sad, but we really didn’t miss the mess and time, etc.  our small front entry way is  where most of our Halloween decorations go and it was full and festive even without them.  Incidentally, shortly after Halloween, the teachers quit doing after school activities and 2 days later the contract was hammered out and the partial strike over.

Before Halloween we had a very lovely Thanksgiving over at my in-laws with plenty of food and cheer.  While having Thanksgiving and Halloween in the same month seems a little rushed, I enjoy having almost a full 2 months between Halloween and Christmas.  Remembrance Day (Canadian version of Veteran’s Day) is given it’s solemnity in November, but the only preparation is for assemblies and to make sure to get your poppy pin.

Now that we have gotten into our fall routine it’s time for me to take a girl’s weekend away for scrapbooking convention in Seattle.  I was also able to have a weekend away shortly after school started in NY for scrapbooking where I was able to catch up through the late spring with the kids’ and our family photo books. I have summer and fall pictures to scrapbook, but this weekend is mostly classes and enjoying being myself with friends.  Honestly, I just didn’t get around to packing up what it would take to actually work on my current pictures and I made my Christmas cards between the kids going back to school and curling starting up. I know I’ll be bringing plenty of luggage back between the latest scrapbook supplies from the vendor fair, my class projects, Christmas goodies for the kids from my parents and all our U.S. Mail that has arrived since our summer trip.  With a busy household, it takes a legion of post-its, an understanding husband (I hold down the fort while he’s curling long weekends and he holds down the fort when I need to have a weekend away) and in-laws on call for this to happen.  It’s worth the prep though to remind myself who I am outside of my daily life and my family gets back a happy, refreshed Mom.

 Halloween pictures & video of Henri's glow in the dark stick man.
 
 
We also went to the free first day at the local pumpkin farm
 


They also got haircuts. V wanted hers cut even shorter but I told her if she still wants it cut shorter in Spring I'll let her do it...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive