Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Minecraft party

So this should have been posted back in April, been a little busy moving!  Anyways... At Carter's Minecraft birthday we did a few crafts. It was back to one of our famous at home do it yourself parties.  As the kids came in they made Creeper shirts.  I got black Fabric paint at the craft store and freezer paper at the super market.  I got t-shirts cheap at the craft store and got strawberry boxes from Costco. 

First I cut the bottoms out of the strawberry flats to slip inside the t-shirts so that the paint wouldn't go onto the back of the shirts.  I made Carter take the rest of the boxes out to the recycling bin...

 
then I used my Wishblade to cut simple squares out of freezer paper (you could also cut out your own squares.  I'm just terrible at cutting straight lines so I cheated). 
 


Then I ironed the freezer paper on to the t-shirt with the cardboard inside.  Freezer paper has a plastic surface on the back, so it will stick temporarily to the shirt making a great stencil. 



then the kids used fabric paint with foam brushes.  Try to paint from the outside in so that you don't push the paint under the stencil.



Wait the length of the party or 4 hours and peel off the stencil (I peeled it off right before guests left, then handed the slightly wet t-shirt (it takes 4 hours to completely dry) to the parent with the cardboard still inside).  Shirts should be washed inside out esp the first washing and first washing should be at least 24-48 hours after painting.

The boys seemed to really like the project!  I see several the boys wearing the finished shirts to school, so they must think they are pretty cool :)  This was Valerie's. The boys' were green...

 
We also had a Minecraft Cake.  For those that don't know... this is an exact replica.  Fondant, 2 8x8 pans of chocolate cake and a lot of chocolate frosting to hold the layers that did not want to come out of the pan properly together...
 


I also found a card game online that I printed cards off at Winkflash 4x6 size with 2 card on each picture (so 3 cents per card plus shipping).  The boys spent the rest of the time after opening presents trading cards and looking through them.  Pretty simple, the only hitch was getting enough of the right kind of those blasted cards printed and to us on time :)  Filled up the 2 hour party slot pretty well. We also had a UTube playlist of about 20 Minecraft parady songs for the boys to watch on the downstairs TV.  Some kids were disappointed about not actually playing Minecraft, but I think we had something like 14 kids and I didn't have the inclination or time to set up enough places to play it, plus this seemed to make for better interaction.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive