We put up our tree, but with vacation never got around to the outside lights. The boys kept asking me when we'd put up lights outside and I kept asking when they'd help me. Our tree is enormous... we have a lot of ornaments, my parents bought me one a year while I was growing up and now buy 1 for each kid (as I try to do as well) each year, so until they move out it's gonna be pretty heavy. Not to mention the ornaments the kids have made...
This is how it got decorated. Carter (and Henri after the first few nights) slept on the couch by the tree. The first day we got it up and put lights on. Then in the middle of the night Carter decorated the middle. We woke up to find our tree with a belt of ornaments. He was too short to reach the top but wanted them too high for Valerie. Then Henri decorated the bottom with the ornaments that wouldn't be hurt by a toddler playing with them and then I decorated the top.
Valerie carefully examined the ornaments. She then took a lot of them off, but did as well as a 2 year old could be expected to with a tree full of little toys sitting there.
Valerie's hoping for snow, but so far there was just a dusting one morning that was mostly melted by the time we woke up. When we got snow last time you literally couldn't get the little kids out of it.
Then we went to see Santa. Carter asked for "a Pokemon plush toy" Henri asked for "pretend grapes" which Santa asked to be sure of. Henri says he's going to pretend to eat them when they arrive in his stocking. I realized he's not looking for the plastic food kitchen type grapes but the ones in the craft stores to decorate your house that I always tell him he can't have. Luckily Santa did deliver both requests as well as lots of candy.
We love the Santa at Molback's! Free, take your own pics short or no line, free coffee and Kringles (like a donut-but don't tell your kids it is a donut, they will repeatedly correct you. But it can be fun to call them a donut over and over to keep hearing the employees correct you repeatedly...)
Since we had a lot to do, Mom did a lot of internet shopping this year. V loved the boxes
Our friends came over for some graham cracker houses. The boys spent a lot of time and energy on them, esp Henri. Valerie pretty much just liked frosting off a knife...
The Saturday before Christmas we went to Dad's side of the family and did a gift exchange and had a Southern style meal catered which was awesome not to have to bring food, lol. The boys got more sticky ninjas (that's all H asks grandma for anymore) unfortunately some got stuck on the ceiling and Paul had to rescue them)
He then joined my cousin in some hula hoop tricks. My grandma called later to say how much she enjoyed Paul's unusual outgoing nature :). Unusual meaning he's not known as the most outgoing person, not that he's got an unusual nature.
The gift exchange got Henri 2 boxes of chocolate which he refused to give up and Carter a new blanket for his bed so I could have my quilt back. Which ended up going to Camp Unity since I never realized how "loved" it was getting! (P.S. bonus post about blankets next)
My independent girl has been incredibly snuggly lately. Not sure of the reason, but it's taking some getting used to... Grandpa doesn't seem to mind, though.
Valerie liked opening presents even if she would get sidetracked with something she particularily liked
The boys "helped" her a lot.
On Christmas Eve, my brother, his girlfriend & son came over with my parents. All unwrapping stopped when the kids unwrapped these felt handmade angrybirds from my brother's girlfriend. She said, "I guess I should have warned you and had them opened last." They were a hit!
I almost got all the stockings made. Valerie's left and assuming we spend next year in Ontario where we use our childhood stockings I have 2 years to do it. I'm going to need it. The pattern I chose is pretty complicated.... I cross stitch and my mom sews them up for me. Yes I could sew them, but I want them to look nice.
I love that Henri's at the stage where everything he opens is.... "oh, just what I wanted/needed!"
So after stockings we open our gifts to each other. Valerie's loving a new Dora Dollhouse and furniture, the boys got Skylanders video game for XBox which they pretty much play or talk about every waking moment now. When I made them turn it off, they got out art supplies and drew the characters. I got Paul a few things I thought he'd like.
So I'd been looking at Costco for a SLR camera. As you can see from my photos above, the light and focus are starting to not be as crisp in my point & shoot handy little camera and now that the kids are getting bigger and Valerie's getting faster I'd hinted for a Cannon T3i that was a great deal with an extra lense until after New Year's. Paul found that they also sold the T4i online that was also a deal, but more expensive, being the next generation. I hemmed an hawed and mentioned casually that the T3i would be nice (has auto shooting options, the Nikon does not) but maybe we should go for the 4 since technology changes so fast. A few days later, I'd seen a box wrapped up in his office and casually asked if it needed to go under the tree. Paul got upset and pulled out a T3i box and said, no, he needed to return it since I clearly wanted the 4i and I got upset at having ruined the surprise and he said, "I'll just get you an Xbox and after new years you can get what you want." I was disappointed, but I guess I learned about snooping before Christmas.
Christmas morning, I saw a box the right shape as a camera and had high hopes. Imagine my disappointment when I opened an Xbox. Seriously? I thought... who would give their wife who plays maybe one video game a month an Xbox. Well, I thought trying not to be sad, I guess I could connect it to our bedroom TV so we can watch TV in there (we don't have cable, only Netflix & HuluPlus). I smiled, said nothing and set it aside. All the presents got opened, the boys ran down to play Skylanders (we got them one game, my parents the other in the series) and Paul brought up an envelope with a camera flash in it. I got a little hopeful thinking, "ok, at least I can go get one after Christmas, I guess" Then Paul finally came in and said, "aren't you going to open your Xbox?" I warily smiled and said, "ok. Instruction manual, hmmm...." Under the manual was the camera. He completely tricked me. What a stinker! I tried not to overly freak out as I'd been kind of a pain in the butt about the whole thing but inside I was glad it wasn't an Xbox!
Then I played. OMG, even in auto mode I love it!
I mean seriously, doesn't she look adorable! Makesyou want to forget the fact that she totally stole this from my stocking and is going to be a sticky mess when she finishes it...
plus, with the portrait mode that blurs the background my kid messiness will be at least blurred in my shots instead of clear and focused...
experimenting with the "no flash" mode
Poor Henri who was an Angel in Turks has been a whiny mess since we got home. I think he's had a hard time being off his normal routine... I told him to put his clothes in the dresser, after freaking out I found it silent in his room.
Valerie's also been very outgoing and talkative the last few days after about a week of pretty much giving us only the grunting treatment...
I'm guessing she wants a cookie??
She's been obsessed with Dora, hence when I heard about a dollhouse up for grabs I nabbed it. Note her Dora videos, which she will watch for HOURS if you let her, which it being the season of lots to get done, Mommy has graciously let her. Because thats the sign of a good mom, right?


















No comments:
Post a Comment