Saturday, September 15, 2012

Just another Saturday night...


Before I get started, let me say, I am like my Dad.  Let me give an example. If someone were to tell my immediate family, “That wall is very hard.  Hitting your head against it would be painful.”  My brother and Mom would say, “wow, ok, thanks for the warning.” and they would walk away.  My Dad and I, on the other hand, would probably walk right up to the wall, hit our head against it a few times and say, “ok, you are right, that was pretty painful.” 

Anyways, it’s been a few weeks since the shed incident and my husband’s away this weekend curling up in BC.  He called my cell phone while I was visiting my grandparents this morning and asked me to call him back when I got home.  I got home and called him at 3:45 and what I thought he said was, “We curl again at 6pm, if we don’t win we are out of the tournament and I’ll head home, if we do win, I’m going to get a hotel up here and you could come up and watch with or without the kids.”  I told him I was planning to take my parents out for dinner for their anniversary and I’d talk to my parents about taking the kids for the night.

I meet Mom and Dad ½ way between our house (aka North, as in North towards Canada) and we have a nice dinner and dad mentions that there’s a train leaving for BC in an hour and I could probably have just enough time to run to my house, grab the stuff I need including my passport and make the train, esp since they generally run a few minutes late.

So, trusting dear old Dad, I drive his car to my house, realizing ½ way there that I have no house key and no garage door opener. Leave it to me to make nothing easy.  After searching for a Hide a Key (none) and checking for unlocked windows (none) I finally make it in (no, I’m not telling you how I broke into the house, suffice it to say, we are about to get more security) grabbed passport, change of clothes, stuff for Paul and keys and hightailed it to the train station. My dad met me there.  “You missed it by 2 minutes, we can catch it at the next stop and you can get a ticket on board because it has to go slower than us.”  We check on the progress on his phone and it says we should just meet it.  Well, kind of. We get there, the train is stopped in the road.  In front of the station.  I yell, “I’m running for it” and much to his dismay I run in flip flops in the dark right behind the train.  The train proceeds to leave. 2 minutes ahead of schedule (yes, a miracle, Amtrak is running on schedule) as I’m screaming and waving my hands, “NO NO NO!!!!!!”

Defeated I get back in the car and Dad starts driving back to his place where the kids are as I try to convince him and I that I’ll just drive back home.  He stops to get gas and I try calling Greyhound to see if there’s a bus (there is, but it doesn’t arrive until 1am, in a town about 45 minutes from where the hubby is) so I give up. And realize I don’t have my cell phone.  If you guessed it fell face down out of my bag on the platform while I was waving my arms at the train you are the winner.

My dad’s terrified a train hobo is going to pick it up and calls his bff who lives near the station (it’s now 8:30pm at night) to go look in the dark for his daughter’s cell phone.  They have been best friends since childhood, so my dad is not at all surprised by this insane request and he and his wife (who luckily my dad introduced to the bff) get to the train station about the same as us.  We chat a few minutes and head back to my parent’s house.

 

Dad calls my mom, who, having just celebrated her  36th wedding anniversary to the guy is not at all surprised to hear how the saga has turned out. 

I send a text to my husband, “After losing my phone from literally chasing 2 trains and breaking into our house, it looks like I’m not going to make it. Sorry.” And get a call back from him with him scheming to drive home tonight (it’s now 8:45pm) and then we’ll drive up in the morning together for his 9am game.  My husband is a night owl and I have no doubts about his ability to drive home (apparently neither does my dad who agrees he could have made it) however, getting up in time to make it to Canada for a 9am game?  Probably not going to happen.

I get to my parent’s house and ask my mom if the kids are up to decide if I should drive home or not.  “Well, Carter might be sleeping but I’m sure the two little ones aren’t.”  I failed to mention to my mom that the little ones can’t bunk together (Carter and husband can sleep through a bomb going off but the little ones wake up if someone 2 houses away sneezes, hence V, H & I cannot sleep in the same room).  We check on the little ones who are out of bed and laughing to go home.  Carter is sound asleep in the other room.  I get them loaded and tell Carter the tale in the car.  He listens with no surprise. 

We just got home put kids in bed and Paul called, he’s in fact staying in the hotel tonight, sleeping well and planning on kicking ass tomorrow. So far where they are is that they’ve won their entry fee back, if they win at least one more game, it will pay for the hotel room for the night and he’ll feel like he came back even (of course, he also got to curl competitively when we JUST got ice at our home club).

It’s now 11:30 and I’m going to check on a few things and head to bed myself. And finish doing all the stuff that I was going to do this evening in the morning, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive