So I took something I'd picked up in the store awhile back, it was an impulse buy, really...
Zep Degreaser $4.99 on Amazon
I sprayed it on the bathroom floor, waited about 3-5 minute and then scrubbed with some elbow grease and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (FYI, it's melamine foam, also available on Amazon or possibly at your local hardware store-it's a soundproofing insulation material)
Holy Moly. It cleaned so well that it's sparkling white, as in just purchased white. So then I tried it on the kiddos bathroom, which generally doesn't get gross, but had some blue paint in the bottom from when I cleaned out the roller pan from painting the nursery, oh, 8 years ago and it's been there ever since. Came RIGHT OFF. I don't know what's in this stuff, and frankly I don't want to know, but the stuff works.
Then I got excited (so sue me, this stuff gets me going!) and tried it on the scaly stuff that was in my drip pan of my fridge ice dispenser that the dishwasher didn't touch and then tried the Zep + Eraser on some stuff that had gotten baked on to my creamic stove top that I'd pretty much given on (probably plastic, paint, who knows, the stuff was ON, no other cleaner had touched it. Guess what? It got it off.
I can't wait to find something dirty now, maybe my rubber garbage disposal thingy could use a few squirts of this stuff.
P.S. Grandma, I promise I'll be back to posting cute stuff about the kids very soon :)
Edit to add results in the kitchen:
Another note, I'm guessing orange oil is in the product because it has a nice smell and my hands are kind of soft after using it :) also good for cuticles... also, I do mean elbow grease. The bathtub used up about 3/4 of an eraser.
So I tried to think of the worst (best?) test for this new cleaning method. I came up with my microwave and oven door. The verdict: While they are not sparkling new, they look 90% better than they did, even after I tried vinegar and baking soda, etc. Note: the method described above (3-5 minutes, then scrub with eraser) still worked the best. I tried respraying and adding hot vinegar and it did not make any difference. I also tried cleaning the fishtank and waiting longer and it didn't make a difference on the last few spot. (BTW, my fav thing to do with the Eraser is clean the fishtank. NO scrubbing green gunk anymore, takes 5 minutes to clean it entirely, took me 30 minutes when I used to scrub the sides. I designate one eraser just for this job as the green stuff is pretty gross (algae).
Stand in awe of it's job on the toughest thing I could think of.... Microwave before:
It's "clean", but, it's dingy, right?
Look at the after, you can see the reflection of me taking the picture it's so freakin' shiny! The top and sides did great with the treatment. I had a little more trouble with the back, but it still looks great!
A word of caution on the oven door... it does say not to use it on glass, but also says it can be used on appliances. So that's my warning. The glass turned out similarily as the microwave. Way better than it was. Makes me want to open up the door and clean the inside of the window :) But I'm kind of sick like that....
ETA 8/21 My plastic laundry tub, the one I installed instead of the little bathroom sink that was there when we moved in has taken a beating. Paint, grungy. It was embarassing (hence no "before" picture) when we'd have people over, it was just as convenient to let people go to the 1/2 bath in the laundry as to go upstairs, but I didn't want to, even if it meant having to clean the kids' tub. No more, the white plastic laundry tub is SPARKLING after this treatment! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment