Monday, January 30, 2012

Make ahead meals-with tortillas!

I used pre-packaged tortillas, but hope to try making my own when I run out.  Looking for a healthy, microwave meal that is cheap without all the sodium? Make your own burritos! I've made these with dinner ingredients and with breakfast and they are so great! I recommend buying the largest burrito tortillas you can find. I had a hard time finding the large ones in whole wheat and had to use white flour.

For dinner ones, use:
black beans (either canned or soaked or cooked for 2 hours from a bag if you want to do this super cheap)

rice (brown or white-make your own to save money or get those Uncle Bens 90 second packets or minute rice, but if the point is avoiding processed foods, I'd rather cook my own)

shredded cheese (remember, shredding your own saves about $2 a pound)

optional is meat. You can either use shredded chicken, which I read yesterday you can shred quickly by putting the hot chicken (boneless) in your Kitchenaid with the cookie paddle, I haven't tried it yet, but wow, what a time saver! and use salsa or you can cook hamburger or shredded beef with some taco seasoning (look online to make your own to save on money and chemicals)

I put about 6 tortillas at a time in the microwave with just a few drops of water or wet paper towels between them for about 30 seconds to soften them so they don't break when I wrap my burritos.  Lay down a square of foil, put the tortilla on the foil, put in a scoop of each ingredient, roll up and then roll in the foil.  Voila.  Put them in a large baggie to keep them together or label individually. Cook about 2 minutes on each side (you may have to adjust for your microwave) straight from frozen when you want a quick lunch or dinner. Add salsa, tomatoes, more cheese, sour cream or whatever you have on hand. You could also cook the meat with onions for added flavor.

For breakfast, scramble eggs, use cheese and I like to add meat. You could do bacon or sausage. You could also add spinach, though I've not tried freezing these with any veggies, so maybe try one first before you make a dozen, ok?  The breakfast ones need about 1.5 minutes per side. So yummy and quick to make a hot breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive