Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 1-San Diego

We decided to take a family trip to San Diego to see what we could do to entertain ourselves for a week. We figured there were enough attractions in the area we'd just get there, get a hotel, a car and wing it. As a perk we booked a ticket on the airplane for the baby and a king size 2 bedroom suite. Here's how day 1 played out.

We headed out about 7:30 to arrive at the airport at 8am for our 10am Southwest flight. Paul was trying to figure out why our flight was scheduled for 4 hours. When we arrived at the gate we got our answer... there was a top in Oakland on the way to San Diego. Hmmm... something that would have been nice to know ahead of time. Anyways, we settled in on the plane, I and the boys behind Paul and Val. Henri enjoys the take off and then proceeds to take a nap for the entire way until Oakland. Carter got involved in some Lego Chapter books and played a little DS.

So, we made it fairly easily to San Diego. Then we went to get our rental car. We headed to the Dollar where we had rented a car big enough for 5 people and 4 bags (we were told on the internet a Dodge Charger). Dollar was located much further from the airport than other companies, but right off I-5, so easy to find out way out of town. However, after a long wait (20 minutes, perhaps?) I get to the counter and he starts offering me all these different cars. I said, "I have no idea what kind of cars those are. I reserved a car that would fit 5 people and 4 bags, is what you are offering me going to do that??? And FYI, that includes 3 carseats across the back and 4 doors." He hems and haws, I'm telling him, " I reserved the car online that offered the room I needed, the gas mileage I wanted and the price I wanted to pay, where is the car I reserved?" He then starts saying I could get an upgrade to a Ford Escape. I said, "is it the same price?" He says, "well, no" I say, "No, I want the car I reserved." Then he starts in on the insurance. After I decline 3 times, I finally get my paperwork. Of course, Paul is driving away and we got to the hotel before I realize the guy never asked me if I wanted to add a driver. So now I'm stuck driving the whole vacation. Seriously, I will not do business with Dollar ever again at this point. I realized my experience was very much like this episode of Seinfield .

So we get to the hotel 2 hours after we get off the plane. The Carlsbad Homewood Suites. The suite is fantastic, the hotel is fantastic. It was pricey, but I got almost $50 off a night by booking non-refundable in advance. The maid straightens up after us, the room is all new furnishings, the boys' room and ours is across the living area. There's a fridge, two burner stove, microwave, a DISHWASHER, 2 bathrooms, 1 off each bedroom, 3 TVs. Nice. I call for a crib, they bring it up immediately. Valerie fits in the closet behind the bathroom door. Mon-Thurs there's a dinner buffet with free beer & wine tasting (full glasses) every morning is a breakfast buffet, lots of nice stuff. Free parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive