Friday, October 21, 2011

Meal Swaps

I've been swapping meals like a crazy woman.  This month for my regular group I made Country Captain from the Once a Month Cooking Cookbook

I haven't had mine yet, but I've gotten a good review on it already.  I made it easily by putting out all my ingredients (this one was a dump in the ingredients in a gallon bag and it's ready) as well as measuring impliments for each.  Then I just measured, dumped and was done.

I'm also doing a potluck swap with some friends. I made a fall pork roast out of the same cookbook. I wasn't as impressed with it, but hopefully my friends will like it.

I started on next month's as well and didn't realize how big the recipe was, so I ended up with 16 pans of Cheesy Penne, probably November and December.  Oh, well, it looks awesome, but was a little more work.  When, when will I learn not to do chopped onions for meal swap? It's bad enough when I'm crying my eyes out for chopping one onion, but 8????? Holy smokes, I had tears streaming down my face. I was going to try putting them in the  freezer a few minutes first, but I had too much danged bread in there (see previous post) to be able to fit them.  Oh, I also forgot until after shopping to pick up pans for them.

I still want to figure out the total cost for them, but... for the Penne, I had on hand noodles I got a great deal on last week and the diced, organic tomatoes were from costco, who had buy a box, get one free, so $7 for 16 cans of tomatoes, of which I used all of them.  I'm trying to find sales for ingredients, which is easier now that Henri's in school, I can go to 2-4 grocery stores to get everything I need on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive